Search This Blog

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Petunia hotline

Petunias get spindly and leggy if you just plant them and walk away.  But not if you are absolutely ruthless when you plant them.  You have to hack them back to about three inches, which means cutting off any existing blossoms.  But if you are patient, in about 10 days you will have the most magnificent, fattest plants you've ever seen. 

This I learned at a dinner party a number of years ago and I have done it since.  When they have taken off, you have to selectively cut them back on a rotational basis -- just one or two at a time -- all summer long and they will get even fatter and produce an abundance of gorgeous blossoms.  And remember not to just pull a faded blossom out of it's stem.  You have to snap off the stem down to the next joint.  After having given up on them a few years ago, I now buy lots and enjoy them immensely.  Here are a few of mine this year:


Just hacked these back again this morning.
 

Of course, you have to buy good potting soil and give them drugs.  When I first plant, I use Miracle Grow Starter liquid once every two weeks and after that, just regular Miracle Grow plant food.  I love taking advantage of the low price and proliferation of the regular, "lowly" petunia.  Hope I'm not being too presumptious, but I see an awful lot of sad-looking petunias in my travels around Calgary.

One year I was waiting for B to pick me up outside an Ottawa restaurant and I noticed how meek and pathetic the petunias were in their window boxes.  So, I started picking and pruning and the manager came rushing out, after a patron told him I was defacing them.  "No, no, what are you doing?" he almost yelled.  "I am fixing your pathetic petunias."  After I explained how the process worked, he let me continue.  A few weeks later I drove by and they were glorious. 

So dear readers, it's still not too late to get crackingly ruthless and have lovely flowers by early August.  And by the way, I never buy the wave variety; flowers too small and spindly.  They are for folks who don't know how to grow the regular variety. 

No comments:

Post a Comment