Search This Blog

Friday, July 11, 2014

The Way Things Turn Out

My mother was as conventional as I was not.  At her funeral I said, "I was as big a surprise to her as she me."  Although very different, I learned everything I needed to know about being a home economist and honouring family traditions.  She was traditional as I learned to be, but I am not "conventional".  There's a big difference between the two. 

Lillian Griffith's was also the charity home in our wonderful neighbourhood of Lindenlea in Ottawa, where I grew up.  And so it was that in the '50s she befriended a family of three children a couple of streets over.  The oldest was a sweet boy I will call "David" (not his real name).  With a younger sister and brother, David was a fast friend of my late brother, John.  David's parents were unconventional, something my mother could not understand in a million years.  She thought the children were being "neglected" because their parents did not bring them up as she did hers.  I mean maybe they had hot dogs for breakfast?  So what?  Their parents actually sat on the front lawn in shorts and enjoyed the weather.  In contrast, my mother never wore anything but dresses -- even at the cottage -- never sat on a chaise lounge and never exposed one inch of inappropriate skin. 

As I said, we were a surprise to one another.

David usually spent all day with us, eating three meals a day because my mother fretted about his well-being.  Here's the surprise:  David gained a Masters Degree in Engineering and is a very successful entrepreneur, his sister became a teacher up north and a professional bush pilot, and little brother a decorated member of the armed forces. 

So much for my dear mother's fears.  I learned all this through 'Classmates', to which I don't subscribe, but every now and then I get a "private message" from someone.  David came through.  Corresponding, I learned he did not know what had happened to his dear childhood friend, my brother John, but told me about his own success and that of his siblings.  Apparently he knew my brother was gay; I did not.  Duh?  That is why their friendship ended.  But what a wonderful childhood they had!

He also told me my father, the scientist, was the person who influenced him to embark on a scientific career.  

So, even hotdogs for breakfast have no effect on future success.  What a wonderful world!   

1 comment: