Search This Blog

Monday, July 14, 2014

What were we doing??!!

We were manning the barricades back in the late sixties.  I mean, we were fighting for the right to be..........well..........anything we wanted to be.  Remember?  Our mothers actually had to quit working when they married.  And when I worked for IBM in the early '70s you were not permitted to marry another IBMer, or one of you had to quit. 

Seriously.

While never a "women's libber", I did fight for the right to have a career.  I wanted to earn my own money.  I did not want to have to ask a man for money for nylons. 

Seriously.

But I liked being a woman, still do.  What I don't understand today are the women who were afforded a good education, took up seats in institutions of higher learning on someone else's money, but are not in the workforce??!!  What did they think we were doing back in the sixties?  We were fighting for their rights.  Why have they decided to throw in the towel and sit around watching Sesame Street?

I am not proud of who they have become. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment