Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Post-turkey marathon

Pea shoots.  What are those?  When I see an ingredient such as this in some smarty-pants recipe, I move on.  I am looking here and there for dishes to concoct to use up leftover turkey and I'd like to try and get away from my old standbys.  But pea shoots?  Who has those handy? Who knows what they are and who even knows where to get them? 

The other ingredients were things like "panko".  Is that just breadcrumb?  If so, just say it.  Then I had to scrounge around for fresh basil, coriander, cumin and turmeric.  I know I have these (well, not the fresh basil) but I'd have to get a ladder and rummage around in the back of my spice cupboard to track them down.

Same problem I have with the quarterly foodie magazines you get at liquor stores.  They are so pompous it's ridiculous.  I never have anything they call for.  Ever. 

But I do know what to do with the carcass, after I spend an entire morning pulling off and sorting all the meat.  Soup it is.  A few years ago, when I saw a son-in-law just throw the entire thing in the garbage, I almost cried.  And I could hear my grandmother and mother crying from heaven too.  I love turkey soup because it's so versatile.  You can throw anything at it and it'll enthusiastically rise to the occasion.  But first you have to boil the bird for about two days and then refrigerate the whole thing so the fat will rise to the surface and harden off for skimming.  Here's my bird giving up its life a second time in order to render its gorgeous broth:

 

Had to boil it for two days to get it to fit into the largest pot I own.  The broth is now cooling and will be ready for its transformation into soup tomorrow.

By the way, having failed to find anything really interesting for last night's leftovers, I made hot turkey sandwiches, complete with fries (but oven-baked) and frozen peas.  A real throwback to the old diner days of the fifties, sixties and seventies.  They were scrumptious.

Note:  Speaking of cooking, just watched 'Jamie's 15-minute Meals'.  Let me tell you, there is no way those meals are ready in 15 minutes.  None whatsoever.  Oh yeah, forgot, he has a staff of 50 prepping everything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment