Search This Blog

Saturday, October 25, 2014

So little

As I walked up, the soldier snapped to attention.  I had gone to Cochrane to lay flowers on the War Memorial in honour of the two soldiers slain this week in acts of insanity.  Tears welled up in my eyes when I saw all the other tributes that had been offered. 

"It's an honour to be here," said Steve, the airman who was keeping watch.  He was serving a nine-hour vigil in memory of his fallen comrades.  I shook his hand and thanked him, but my gesture was all as nothing compared to what these men and women do in service to Canada.  I said a prayer and left.  It's all so very, very sad. 

Airman Steve, standing vigil at the War Memorial in Cochrane, Alberta.
     

3 comments:

  1. OMG. this says it all. THANK YOU SO VERY VERY MUCH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve was a completely class act, as were the fallen comrades he was honouring. It was a humbling experience for me.

    ReplyDelete