Search This Blog

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Hands up!

And his pants fell down.  That was B in Calgary airport security the other day.  They told him to take off his belt and lift his arms, so naturally his pants promptly hit the floor.  I screamed with laughter, as did everyone else in line.  To top it off, he was sporting long underwear -- a definite "geezer" signature outfit -- which made everyone laugh the harder. 

"Step out of line, sir," said the officious screening officer.  So B waddled off to the scanner, pants around  his ankles.  I was soooooooooo glad I had already gone through and could thus pretend I didn't know him.  His problem was "attitude".  "You don't say that to a screening officer," said my son when we regaled him with this sordid tale in Toronto.  Apparently, B had objected to the enthusiastic poking of one of the screeners.

So there we were in the 'Centre of the Universe', to receive an Award of Excellence on behalf of the Calgary Tennis Club for the best seasonal facility in Canada.  Kind of a big deal; I went along for the ride to visit son, nephew and his wife and kids.  Oh my G-d, said B during the ceremony when he spotted a guy he had coached in Montreal when the kid was seven.  Thus ensued a tearful reunion/hugging session with the now middle-aged man -- a successful tennis/business professional.  "Your feet were huge when you were seven," said B.  "But I see you have grown into them!"  We also met a number of other folks we had known over the years at various tennis clubs in Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal.  The tennis world in Canada is very small.

The other up side of the trip was a visit with my son, who lives there, and a reunion with a very old and dear friend who took us all to dinner.  Also had dinner with my nephew and his wife and children -- a nephew who is a VP of Toronto Dominion, but whom I still think of as a toddler. 

We stayed at a sort-of-dump, where Tennis Canada had booked us, in northern TO and man, the people up with whom one has to put!  Yesterday at breakfast we had to endure a 20-something broad who could not shut up!  She was sooooooooooooo boring I almost commited suicide over my croissant!  But we also met very cute waiters and waitresses who made up for her boorishness. 

The only other thing that bugged me was the English accent of the elevator recording woman calling the floors.  Why do we have to have an English accent in a Canadian elevator??

Just about to board back to Calgary.  Can't wait!       

2 comments:

  1. OH, did you not receive a GIFT ????? A gentleman named Wilfrid thought you were beautiful - I'll get him new glasses for his next birthday!~!!

    ReplyDelete