Search This Blog

Friday, February 6, 2015

I give up

Boy, do I miss Jian Gomeshi.  The disgraced ex-host of 'Q' has been replaced by a series of hopeless cases -- the latest of whom is the most dreadful and ghastly of all:  Daniel Richler. 

Hosting this past week, Richler is the most affected, name-dropping bore I have heard in any forum in a long, long time.  His phoney mid-Atlantic accent actually rivals -- and may even surpass -- that of the ludicrous and tiresome Margaret Atwood, who I had previously thought the all-time winner in that supercilious and pretentious category.  (Note to Atwood: please, please, please lose that ugly and absurd hairdo!)  Googling Richler, I learned he is the stepson of notorious street brawler Mordecai, which should have been obvious because a man-of-the-people such as our famous, late Canadian author could not possibly have spawned such a ridiculous biological offspring.

And speaking of Atwood, is anyone with me when I say I have read all her novels -- except for the last few, from which I doubt I could have learnt anything -- and cannot tell one from another? 

I think the problem is that the stepson has yet to figure himself out.  He has variously been a member of a biker gang, a DJ, an author, a critic and some kind of cultural commentator.  For me, he is now someone I immediately turn off when his cloying gets too much to bear.  He had Dianna Krall on this week, for example, and for the life of me I could not decipher one word she said?  She blabbed on about "feeling the music" and losing herself "in emotion".....etc.  Can you tell I have never been a fan? 

Sadly, 'Q' has hit the skids without the thought-provoking Gomeshi and his fascinating and enticing guests.    Whatever his crimes, I miss Jian.   

No comments:

Post a Comment