Search This Blog

Thursday, February 12, 2015

The Year of the Pig

That's what it was when I was born.  According to Chinese "stuff", I was born in the year of the Fire Pig so I am apparently "enthusiastic, extroverted, rebellious, passionate, brave and valiant.  However, I am also hot-tempered, snappy, uncontrollable and short-tempered."

Pretty much sums me up.  We got into this last night when we frequented our local Chinese restaurant and started chatting with "Lisa" -- a very, very Chinese girl whose name is definitely not "Lisa".  She wrote her "real" name out for me and I will have my Chinese friend at the pool tell me what it is.  She mentioned it meant "swan" and that suits her elegant nature. 

B was born in the Year of the Snake.  Figures.  "Snakes are regarded as intelligent, but with a tendency to be somewhat unscrupulous," says the Internet.  In his case, that latter part isn't true.  This year is the Year of the Goat, so people born this year will be loving and trusting, but clinging and resistant to change.    

"That's all a bunch of hooey," said Ian this morning, another Chinese acquaintance with whom I swim.  Reminds me of when I worked for a large publishing company and was asked to write a booklet on horoscopes.  Diligently, I began my research, but after a few days started to think, "one's the same as the next?  What's the point of all this?"  So I just made it all up and people wrote in in droves and paid money for my opinions. 

I shudder to think what life-changing decisions some innocents might have made as a result of my imaginative ramblings.  Yikes!  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment