Search This Blog

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Alberta's in deep do-do

Even though he tried to tone it down, Prentice's analysis of the mess-that-is-Alberta came through loud and clear last night in a speech to those of us who paid $100 to hear it. 

Well, we all know that -- or at least some of us do; not sure about the heads-in-the-sand oil types.  Alberta's economy is a "one trick pony" and thus completely at the mercy of what happens in Saudi Arabia.  How dumb is that?!  I happened to be at the door when the premier arrived, trapped in conversation by two kilt-wearing show-offs, so Prentice greeted me first.  Must have thought I was the doorman.  He introduced his wife (a fattie) and two of his three daughters and I introduced B and the kilts.  It was all very amusing.  The ass-kissing on the part of the kilts was breathtaking! 

Head of the MacLeod Clan, one of the kilts bored me to sobs with water talk -- he's a consultant in the liquid -- and the other informed me of what Prentice's next moves would be.  Apparently, post-election he will introduce a two percent sales tax and modify Alberta's ridiculous flat income tax.  Really?  How Mr. Kilt would know is beyond me?  B managed to chat with him about working with the late, great Peter Lougheed a hundred years ago on the constitution and the premier pretended to be interested; there was a lot of that going on.

The premier's speech was amusing at first, but then degenerated into truth.  I had no idea he was born into a large, blue-collar family in South Porcupine, Ont., and that he put himself through university working in a coal mine for seven years?  Note to Jim:  play that up a little harder, it's a vote-getter.

Upon leaving, he came up to our table and took my hand.  I thought he was going to kiss it.  "Thank you so much," he said.  For what?  Guess he still thought I was the doorman.       

No comments:

Post a Comment