Search This Blog

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Made it for years

There was a snooty piece in The Globe and Mail today about the newest food fad:  bone broth.  Whaaaat?  I've been making bone broth forever, just as did my grandmother and mother.  No turkey or beef carcass was ever tossed.  It was recycled into broth and soup.  In fact, I have a couple in my freezer right now and another simmering on the stove as I type. 

Now, apparently, there are trendy "bone-broth bars" sprouting up in Vancouver (where else) and Toronto and they're all the rage.  People visit them to partake of a bowl for its "curative powers".  Coaches are even prescribing it for sports injuries.  No less a luminary than Kobe Bryant was ordered to use it for an ankle injury.  "He missed only two games instead of being out indefinitely," said the team's nutritionist. 

Apparently, bone broth is a digestive restorative and boosts immunity.  Really?  Even the beauty industry is on the band wagon, claiming broth's collagen helps fight wrinkles and cellulite.  OK, I do have pretty good skin, but try telling that to the cellulite residing under my upper arms.  And let's not forget bars, where it is being blended with Glenlivet here and there.    

It's all so bizarre, but I guess everything old is new again.  To me, boiling up a carcass for broth is just normal, sensible home economics, which was why I almost cried a few years ago when I watched my Texan son-in-law chuck the remains of an entire turkey into the bin after dinner.  What a waste!  There's so much goodness and meat left there.

________________________________

Going to a black tie dinner this evening at which Premier Jim Prentice is the guest speaker.  I know what he'll say -- nothing -- but thought I'd have it confirmed by attending.  More later...............

No comments:

Post a Comment