Search This Blog

Friday, April 10, 2015

Oh dear

If you're following the Masters, you have to read Cathal Kelly in The Globe and Mail.  He is the reason I now actually read the sports section -- any sports section.  "Weir claims that swinging a golf club isn't painful for him.  It's certainly painful for the rest of us.  He is suffering from the lingering effects of multiple elbow injuries and surgeries.  In order to be any good, he needs to keep his right arm straight through his shot.  He cannot," writes Kelly.

"Even though in my mind I want to keep it short, it just keeps bending," says Weir, again playing the game in his head.  "I might get that line carved on my tombstone," quips Kelly.  "By virtue of his win, Weir has a lifetime exemption to the Masters.  As long as he can crawl up to a tee, they can't stop him from playing.  He's damn close to paying to play golf, like the rest of us.  He's become one of those guys, the former champions who come here to have some fun, so their children and grandchildren can watch them walk the greatest course in the world.  The tourists."

"As a player, I'm going to keep playing," Weir said.  "That's my plan."  Sometimes the game has other plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment