Search This Blog

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Can't fathom it

20,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.  That's how many entire galaxies -- not just stars or planets -- exist in the visible universe, thanks to data sent from the Hubble Telescope, now celebrating its 25th anniversary in orbit around the solar system. 

How can anyone get his/her head around that figure??!!  I don't even know what comes after "trillion", let alone what that number is.  All the narrator said was, "It's 2, with 22 zeros after it."  Not only that, the expansion of the universe is speeding up, not slowing down as previously thought.  So, since that program aired on PBS, there must be a gazillion more universes "out there" in our 13.7 billion-year-old universe. 

It's all so unfathomable, which makes me wonder why I worry about whether my house needs dusting (always here on the Prairies), or my ironing is done.  Who cares?!

Remind me not to watch any more shows like that on PBS.   

No comments:

Post a Comment