Search This Blog

Monday, August 10, 2015

A family affair

The winner was 14 years old.  She did the 2K Lake Windermere Open Water Swim in 28 minutes.  Seriously.  I took more than twice as long, but then I am 54 years older than she.  Let's see how she does when she's in my age category.  By the way, I was the oldest (including all but one of the men), but I did it and felt great! 

Two K is a long way.  Try measuring it in your car and you'll see that it is quite the haul if you're in the water.  But as usual, the weather was perfect and the competitors in fine fettle.  Most were in wet suits, but I am not going to fork out $300 for one swim a year.  Growing up in the ice cold lakes of Ontario and Quebec, Windermere is not much of a hardship.  Last year, the organizer and I were the only ones using a "swim buddy" (google it if you don't know what that is), but this year a bunch of swimmers wore one -- probably because a young man drowned during a triathlon in that lake less than a month ago, giving everyone a touch of the jitters.

Husband B was asked again this year to blow the horn for the mass start, but for me, the big thrill was that daughter, son-in-law and grands were on the beach to see me off and cheer me when I landed.  Given that both are Uber athletes in the "iron man" category, I was delighted they delayed their departure from Invermere to support me.  At one, Hilary has no clue and at three Reed was simply bored waiting, but they were there. 

One thing that annoyed me in Invermere was a restaurant we visited for dinner last evening.  Empty, its maitre'd asked if we had a reservation.  Duh, no.  It's a tourist town -- who knows the name or phone number of anything?!  "I'm sorry, we're full," was his reply.  Don't ya just hate that BS?!  But it is an absolutely beautiful town with flowers on every corner, in every window box and on every lamp standard. 
 
One example of what adorns every corner of every street in the town.



The beach on Lake Windermere where we start the swim.  The 1K buoy isn't even visible, and then you have to turn around and start back!

 








   

No comments:

Post a Comment