Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 9, 2021

This is ridiculous

The folio feature in 'The Globe and Mail' today was a big spread about three high school girls in New Westminster, B.C. (where else) who have started a movement to eliminate "period shame" in schools across the country.

What?!  Period shame?!  Now I've heard it all.  Apparently, it is now the height of shame and distress for girls to get their periods during class and not have a pad or tampon.  Gawd, how are they ever going to handle a kid throwing up all over a grocery store aisle, or splattering some poor stranger's shoes in a queue?

Whatever happened to always having a couple of pads or tampons stashed in your locker for these charming moments?  I thought we had brought our girls up to be tough -- I know I did.  It's literally a throw-back to the days when girls couldn't go swimming if they had their periods, or had to sit out gym on "those" days.  Reminds me of how my dear, late mother handled the onset of my first period.  She simply handed me a booklet entitled, "Very Personally Yours", put out by Kotex, and left the room.    

As I said, now I've heard it all and it is very disappointing.     




No comments:

Post a Comment