Search This Blog

Monday, February 27, 2012

Scenes from The Palliser

You don't expect dirty jeans and a grubby t-shirt in the lobby bar of The Palliser on a Sunday, but there he was, sitting with two other men: one in his 20s, one in his 30s and our hero, in his 50s. Oh for a dress code now and then! (Yes, I know, it's me). They were a motely, dishevelled crew for sure. But here's what killed me. They were each banging away on laptops, oblivious to and ignoring each other. Sitting at the same table, each was completely absorbed in his computer. What is the point of that? I mean, they didn't talk to each other at all. As usual, I kept staring, waiting for one of them to speak to the other, but no. It was as if they were three strangers on a bus. I all could think of was, more blog material.

But the thrill of the afternoon was Rick Hansen. Remember Angele? When we worked on Expo '86 and Rick arrived from his first world tour in 1986? You and I were there and met him in all his glory. What a spectacular guy he was and remains. Standing on the hotel steps, waiting for the car, I spotted police cars and flashing lights proceeding down 9th Avenue. "What's up with this?" I asked the car jockey. "It's Rick Hansen, he's wheeling down the street to go to a big fund-raising event." As fast as you could say "adolescent school girl", I was on the sidewalk clapping and cheering. As he came by, I yelled and waved. "Hey Rick, you look great!" And didn't he turn and yell back and wave directly at me. "Wow, he actually waved at you," said the bellhop. When you're young, you're too cool to do stuff like that.

It brought back so many memories. Rick Hansen has been a champion for so many years. He is a true hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment