Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lent

Well, Lent begins today and I haven't decided what to give up. I can certainly think of a couple that I should, but will I?

Worked with a guy a few years ago who actually gave up eating altogether for lent. It was scary to watch him fade away, subsisting on juice and water. Not going that far. In fact, I am adding to my life, instead of taking away. Today we joined The Ranchmen's Club, or at least B did. I'm happy to go along for the ride because basically, I am a "club man".

Formed in 1891, it's a pretty exclusive club here in Calgary. B was invited to join by a long-standing member we have met here and this afternoon we were treated to a facinating, private tour. What an unbelievable place! Three stories of gorgeous carved wood, creaking stairs, ornate banisters, antiques, bronze statues of cowboys and Indians, gorgeous western-style paintings, old photographs of teepees, Indians, squaws, native urchins, mounted police, fur traders, railroad men, soldiers, local matrons...it went on and on. Every nook and cranny filled with memorabilia. But what I loved most were the majestic mounted heads of buffalo, bison, elk, deer, bear and the most jolting of all: wolves. Until you see them, you don't realize how huge these creature are! I mean, a buffalo head alone is the size of a bear! I absolutely loved it!

We were then treated to dinner by the manager, a charming woman, who happens to be of The Faith. We stumbled upon mutual friend after mutual acquaintance, she having lived in Ottawa for a while. We gossiped about every parish we knew -- a very poor show on my part considering this is Ash Wednesday. But I went to Mass to get the ashes later, just to make up for my transgressions. That's one good thing about the Catholic Church, you do get a hall pass when you need one.

No comments:

Post a Comment