Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

I was an "N/A"

Among the constitutional experts, the PMO folks, the deans of law schools, the historians, the authors, the professors emeritus, the treaty commissioners, the senators, the representives of The Prince's Trust, the chiefs of protocol and even our host, the Lieutenant Governor of Saskatchewan herself, I was an "N/A".  That's how I was billed in the list of participants.  Sort of took me down a few pegs, sitting among the constitutional "who's who" and gliterati, listening to men and women who are so knowledgeable.

When you convene a conference of The Friends of the Canadian Crown, you attract the top people in the country in their fields.  I knew Canada was a constitutional monarchy and that the Queen was our head of state, but there was so much I didn't know.  Bulletin to all those disgruntled letter writers who call every Victoria Day for the abolishment of the Canadian Crown:  dream on.  It will never happen simply because it would require the agreement of all provinces and territories at the same time.  And even then each body would have another three years to think about it after-the-fact and change their minds.  "Too much mischief would be made by the provinces," said one expert.

Right you are, then.  It's the Queen, followed by Charles.  Period, the end.

Frivilously, the only file on which I was the expert was "fashion".  The few women in attendance dressed "sensibly", whereas I sported orange heels and earrings one day and blue the next.  For the final formal dinner, I didn't wear my usual plain sheath, dressed up with spectacular earrings and shoes.  I actually wore a Richard Robinson original, haute couture, sheer grey organza evening jacket over a long black sheath; yes the earrings were gold chandelier and the shoes matched. 

Not to blow my own horn, but I did get many compliments on the jacket.  "I must say, your wife looks lovely," said the Lieutentant Governor to B, "and she certainly knows how to dress," she added.  That was some compliment from on high and I grabbed it.  I add this only because afterall, this blog is about fashion.

Note to Dan:  It was "diva on a dime".......except for the jacket.      

   

 

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like yu stood out and made a fabulous statement surrounded by all the glitterati in the room.
    Orange heels no less...that's a woman who is serious about fashion.
    You always could put together an outfit and steal the show, that's why I always tell you how great you look whenever I see you.
    Your style sensibilities have always been fearless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The heels are a great pair of "Anne Klein's" I stole at another DSW in the US.

    Thank you for your wonderful words! Women don't realize that it's not that difficult to put a great outfit together. Problem is too many wear too many things at once -- often in all the wrong colours. And of course, they always get the shoes all wrong.

    Lately, Marcia MacMillan, the CBC announcer, has it totally going on. She's smashing. Tonight she wore a gorgeous, chunky, three-string mauve necklace over a black dress. Absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Hairburner 100%, further more when your as gifted with style as you are you DO NOT HAVE TO BLOW YOUR OWN HORN.
    I have never before heard so many people say they are fed up with looking at the Queen on our dollars. Many in Toronto think we should be more like Australia. However, that remains to be seen. Then there's the comment Charles will be next King!!! My dear you simply are NOT
    Irish enough. Charles shall NOT live to be King. That is my humble opinion - it shall be the one who deserves it WILLIAM.
    Keep it coming, your good. B.A.M.F.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was not "blowing my own horn", merely stating a fashion fact. (She actually said many more complimentary things, which I did not report.) And what's with the CAPS?

    It was reported at the conference that although the media promoted the abolition of the monarchy, not one state in Australia voted for it, not one. So, that's the truth about the popularity of the Monarchy in that country.

    Regardless of the popularity of William, Charles will be king, unless he predeceases William. It's not a popularity contest, that was made very clear. It's the constitution and that's pretty much that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear little sister!!! Do you NOT believe in fate????? AS Diana went so she he. I truly believe this with all my heart. To tell the truth I quite like him - the cow he chose to be his Queen is quite another story!!!
    Your devoted Fan. B.A.M.F.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, the "cow" he chose must be a great helpmate to him.

    ReplyDelete