Search This Blog

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Cutting a rug with The Beatles

"I can't jive," said the young hockey player.  "If NHLers can figure skate on 'Battle of the Blades', you can jive," I told him, as we headed out onto the dance floor.  That did it, he got into it.  "See, you can jive," I said, after the dance.  "That's because you led," he pointed out.  True, I did lead, but anyone can jive.  Just keep twirling and turning, that's about it.  A couple of times I feared my high heels might do me in, but miraculously they came through and I held on and remained upright.

This took place last night at The Ranchmen's Club, where they had staged a special Beatles night, complete with a pretty good tribute band.  We had been seated with the young player's parents and wife.  A goalie, his favouite player of all time was Patrick Roy, but now it was Kiprasov.  "Ever heard of Terry Sawchuk or Tony Esposito?  What about Johnny Bower or Jacques Plant?" I asked.  Who???  Seriously.  But what a blast.  The music brought back so many memories of high school and university, when the Beatles were huge.  Naturally, the first song they played was "She Loves You".   

The evening featured a multi-media presentation by University of Calgary music appreciation and history lecturer, James Istvanffy, about the famous band.  We must have been the oldest members there because everyone oohed-and-ahhed  at stuff we already knew.  Can you imagine, you can take a course on The Beatles?!  "You should tell them about playing drums with them at the Cavern in Liverpool," I whispered to B.  "No, who cares?" he replied.  Who cares!!!  Everyone in the bloody room. 

Much to B's chagrin, when the lecture finished and the prof asked for questions, I stood up.  "This isn't really a question, but my husband played drums with The Beatles in 1961 in Liverpool... Brian..." I said as I turned to him.  So, up he had to stand.  And he delivered.  Here's the tale: 

When he had been in graduate school at LSE in London in '61, a couple of his female cousins took him to the Cavern to hear this "fabulous band".  Knowing them well (being air stewardesses didn't hurt,) his cousins sat at their table and introduced B.  Feature it.  Too "over-refreshed" at the end of the evening to play the last set, Pete Best bailed and George Harrison asked B (who had played drums in dives on rue Ste. Denis) to join them.  So, that was how B ended up playing drums with The Beatles. 

After he finished his story, everyone clapped like mad -- including the awe-struck band members.  The prof then came over, told B he was a part of history and asked for his card.  "I'll be calling you."  Who knows?  Maybe B will be invited as a guest to one of his lectures? 

All great fun.      

2 comments:

  1. What an up-beat, fabulous story. Thank God B
    has you - Your His Public Relations President!
    I loved the Beatles - was in love with the wrong one - who? Paul McCartney - loved his looks. I realize it should have been John Lennon
    but, different strokes for different folks.
    Thanks for sharing - great happy read.
    B.A.M.F.
    Am praying for the Monday debate!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. B says John was rude and nasty, but George was very sweet and nice. So, stick to your original guns about who you liked.

    ReplyDelete