Search This Blog

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Charmingly unconventional

The fabulous shoes caught my eye immediately.  He entered the room wearing gorgeous shiny royal blue patent-leather lace shoes.  Sporting no tie, but wearing a white shirt, his hair was spiked.  The suit was completely a-la-mode for a young man -- you know, looking a tad too small, short jacket and arms.  Immediately he turned on the charm.  This can't be the guy, I thought.  This can't be the British Consul General in Calgary!?  But it was.  I was floored.  Expecting one of the three-piece-suited, middle-aged, stuffed-shirt varieties, I had to take a few minutes to realize that this "kid" was Britain's main guy here in the oil patch.

Then it clicked.  With the average age of a Calgarian 37, at 39 Tony Kay is a perfect fit.  The event was a small gathering of alumni of the London Goodenough Association of Canada* at The Ranchmen's Club.  B was the host, I a hanger-on.  With only one measly university degree, I was the least-educated person in the room -- oh, except for the Consul General himself, who had no degree at all.  The head architect for the Calgary Zoo was there (yes, architecture is a key part of zoos), the guy who started urban planning in Alberta was there, a few PhD's and profs and one charming Hungarian doctor who had survived the holocaust as a young child.  His ear I talked off, but he had the grace to tell B on the way out that I was one of the most charming women he had ever met.  Now there's "old world" chivalrous fibbing for you! 

We went 'round and gave a little schpeel on ourselves.  When it came to me, I admitted I was a "camp follower" and hadn't studied in London at all.  But I did take credit for reviving the association in Ottawa when I read a few years ago that the new High Commissioner was Anthony Goodenough.  "He must be related," I said to B.  "I'm going to call and see if they'd like to host a reception at Earnscliffe for alumni."  "What?"  So I did.  All they can say is "no", I thought.  Sure enough, it was named after his great uncle, founder of the residence in the heart of London for visiting Commonwealth graduate students from around the world. 

And thus began a tradition of wonderful annual receptions at Earnscliffe.  As High Commissioners came and went, the events continued and we became friends with several of the office-holders -- even having them up to our cottage and over for brunch or cocktails on a regular basis.  Of course, the Toronto chapter took all the credit -- which takes a lot of nerve -- and descended in droves for the first Earnscliffe "do".  They even hired a photographer to record the momentous occasion.  I was not included in the formal portrait. 

But I digress.  Back to last evening in Calgary.  Before I forget, gushing over Mr. Kay's shoes, I was delighted when he pulled up his trousers and laughed, "How do you like the socks"  "Charles Trywhitt?" I offered.  "How did you know?"  "Cause I order their stuff from London for B all the time."  The socks were indeed smashing.  Not to be outdone, B then pulled up his trousers to reveal his own Charles Trywhitt hose.  That's the kind of evening it was.

When Tony gave his background, it was clear he was a real foot soldier.  That's how the British Foreign Service is run.  You often start at the very bottom and work your way up.  He had started as a clerk at age 18 and to date had served in seven or eight countries, moving gradually up the ladder.  An avid rugby enthusiast, he had met and married in one of his postings and now had two toddlers.  With a huge dimpled smile, the guy was impressive.  His territory includes Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and the Northwest Territories. 

He promised a BBQ for the group in the summer and you can bet I'll hold him to it.  My prediction?  Watch for him ensconced in Earnscliffe in the not-too-distant future! 
  
* Made up of people who have attended a post-graduate institution in London and stayed in either London House or William Goodenough House in Mecklenburgh Square.  B was there in 1963, where he went to parties with Christine Keeler, Mandy Rice-Davies and Stephen Ward, among other notorious characters.          

No comments:

Post a Comment