Search This Blog

Thursday, May 9, 2013

How to Relax (Not!).........and a bit about Estrogen

"I walk onto a golf course.....and so many things go through my head.  Keep your eyes on the back of the ball and don't move your head until the ball is gone.  Keep your grip real light, like you're holding a tube of toothpaste with the cap off.  Make a full shoulder turn, but don't forget to turn your hips and get that left knee behind the ball and that left heel off the ground...Make a good swing, inside out, full extension of the arms, a big arc, but don't try to bash the ball.  Just swing and the club will do the work.  And don't forget to f-cking relax!"
-- From Willie, an Autobiography, by Willie Nelson and Bud Shrake

This riotous quote was sent to me by a good friend who lives in Michigan, whose father was a famous golf pro and author of several books on the subject.  She herself is a very good golfer, but obviously has a great sense of humour about the (unplayable) game.

"Think of it.  On the one hand you have Mr. On-the-Road-Again, whom (sic) we imagine to subsist on Jack Daniel's and guitar picks, but who turns out to be the owner of the Pedernales Country Club and the co-sponsor of a celebrity pro-am," the article continues.  I mean, who knew Willie Nelson was a golf fanatic?!

As readers know, I don't play golf because I can't hit the ball.  And it's not because I lack eye-hand coordination.  I have that in spades and am -- or was -- a pretty good athlete.  But there is just so much to think about in simply trying to connect with the ball, let alone hit it far and straight.  "As long as I can still hit a moving ball, I won't try to hit a stationary one," said a man I met at a golf-course reception the other day, when I asked if he played.  Tennis is his game.

Walking through a golf-course parking lot a couple of years ago, I came upon a man angrily throwing his clubs into the trunk of his car.  "Want to buy a set of golf clubs?" he asked.  No thanks, I laughed. 

Now to estrogen.........

"Twice as many women as men get early-onset Alzheimer's, but the majority of studies are done on men," a doctor said in a CBC interview the other day.  "Why is that?" the interviewer asked.  "Because women are considered too complicated, what with hormones and mood swings and the like," she actually laughed as she said this.  How typical and appalling.  Women are considered too volatile and problematic to bother studying.  Well, of course we are. 

The interesting thing is that she talked about the positive effects of estrogen on the prevention of Alzheimer's.  Apparently this hormone plays a key role in keeping the brain functioning clearly.  That and physical exercise.  I have been on very low-dose estrogen for about 17 years and have often wondered whether to get off it.  One day it's a wonder hormone, the next it causes breast cancer and now it wards off Alzheimer's??!!

Never mind, think I'll stay on it and keep bloody swimming.     








 

No comments:

Post a Comment