Search This Blog

Friday, January 3, 2014

T'was ever thus

Hearing about yet another 'empty nester' wife and mother who is lost, now that her boys have left home, brought it back to me....again.  Women must have their own careers and money.  It's essential for self-esteem in the long haul.

The woman to whom I refer was trained as a lawyer, but never did anything with her degree.  She married well, i.e. money, so thought it would be wonderful to be a stay-at-home mom.  "Hey, I have a law degree so I can pick up my career anytime."

Except that she can't.  And no one -- regardless of sex -- can pick up a career in their sixties when they, oops, forgot to have one in the first place!  As I have said, society does not value child care, witness the dismal wages paid to daycare workers.  Thus it follows that society does not value stay-at-home mothers.  Sorry, but it's true. 

I am eternally grateful that economics and my own determined sense of independence gave me a job and the little status that went with it.  Girls, all I can say is...........

.............get a job before it's too late.      

No comments:

Post a Comment