Search This Blog

Friday, January 24, 2014

Some people literally talk sh-t

"I'm a doctor," said "K", one of the women I know from the Y locker room who has baked me Christmas cookies for the past two years.  The room fell silent.  This was at my potluck Christmas lunch, where I had invited a bunch of women I know from the pool.  We were a motley crew of fit women of varying ages, D and I the oldest. 

Born in Hong Kong, Dr. K is quite chatty and friendly -- as opposed to most doctors who are raving and determined bores.  The ladies in my living room, who did not know her, had had no idea she was a doctor simply because she was too nice and uncharacteristically modest.  Not all of the women knew each other.  Some swam, some -- such as K -- went up to the gym, some were in the cheap locker room (me) while others opted for the upgraded one.  The common denominator was me. 

"What do you think of fecal transplants for treating C Difficile?" asked a nurse over our lunch.  Thus began the "sh-t" talking.  K launched right into a chapter and verse graphic description of how the whole thing works while we were munching on salmon and Chinese vegetables.  I found it fascinating, but it was amusing to watch a few of the slack-jawed become a tad squeamish.

Dr. K is remarkable.  She does Tai Chi on the treadmill (I can see her from the pool) and is now teaching herself to swim.  "At the end of January," she says, "I am getting rid of the waist belt."  I plan on teaching her to swim and we are both looking forward to it. 

"After Chinese New Year, I am taking you to a Dim Sum lunch," she promised the other morning.  "Great, you can do all the ordering," I replied.  Done.  2014 is the Year of the Horse, when granddaughter will be born.  The Horse gives people a ride to their destinations.  "Let there be peace and let it begin with me," is the 2011 Year of the Rabbit theme, the year grandson was born.  All  good signs for my grandkids, avows Dr. K.         

No comments:

Post a Comment