Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

A Tale of Two Mothers

My best friend just called from Ottawa.  My age, we worked together almost 30 years ago and have remained friends.  I may not be her best friend, but she is mine.  About 14 years ago, she tragically lost her only son.  I can't even begin to imagine what that is like. 

We still grieve.  There is no "closure" (a word I hate).  It never ends.  It's always there.  It's always sad.  When in Ottawa, I visit his grave; it is not far from my parents' and brother's. 

At the other end of the spectrum is another woman.  Over God-knows-what, this mother has not spoken to her only son in eight years -- in spite of the fact that he lives five blocks from her.  I find this sick.  The son I know well, he is beloved to me.  He may have had his low points, but is now a healthy, happy lad, contributing to society. 

I have had low points with my own son, but would never cast him aside like dirty underwear.  Dirty underwear at least gets washed.  My son has emerged from his own demons and is also a successful, contributing member of society.  I am very proud of him.

So, here we have two mothers:  one has lost her son forever, the other has cast hers adrift.  Actually, in the latter case, the son is better off because if you have a mother that evil, you need to stay away from it.  Do you believe in Demons here on Earth?  I do.  All mothers need to reflect.  Could a mother ever cast off her child forever?      

No comments:

Post a Comment