Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Yes, I am a grammar nazi

"The child was still asleep, oblivious to all that went into the building of her life skills, and to the lengths to which so many parents go to ensure their kids have some fun on Sunday afternoons."

This was from an essay in The Globe and Mail today -- the same paper which will not publish anything I send in.  The problem with that sentence is the "to" right after "and".  Wrong.  Should read, "and the lengths to which....." you don't have two "to's".  You also don't put a comma before the word "and" -- unless it is a clause.  "And" replaces the comma.

Describing the latest virus to hit CRA, The Globe reported:  "If your SIN is stolen, the hackers can possibly use it to..........."  No, the word "possibly" is unnecessary. 

I would find life very dreary were I not able to express myself clearly and correctly on paper.    

2 comments:

  1. The grammar example that irritates me the most is the expression "I would of" rather than "I would have". It bothers me to the core.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another along that line is, "If I would of....I would of...." Just appalling.

    ReplyDelete