Search This Blog

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Fun at the pool

"Nancy," a voice called from the pool office this morning as I was finishing my laps.  I turned around to see fellow swimmer, Rick, standing in the doorway.  "I'll be right there," I called back.  Climbing out, I went over and greeted him.  He was now dressed to the nines for work. 

Having never seen him "in clothes", I was very impressed.  Sporting gorgeous, slim, black-watch tartan slacks, beautiful dark brown, suede tie shoes, a smashing white shirt with inside blue stripes and a very stylish trench coat, he was the most fashionably-dressed guy I think I have ever seen in Calgary.  "You look like a million bucks," I exclaimed enthusiastically.  Knowing he was flying to Boston tomorrow to run the marathon, I was very keen to wish him well. 

While we were gabbing and laughing, the rest of the swimmers -- well, the serious ones at least -- and the lifeguards were gawking.  "What the h-ll is Rick doing going out of his way and going through the pool office to the deck to hail Nancy?" I am sure they were thinking.  Here's the deal with Rick:  He is a very serious athlete, keeps to himself and rarely talks to anyone.  He is also very "hot"and ripped, with not an ounce of fat on his bones.  A year younger than I, he has kept himself in fantastic shape.  (Why don't men have cellulite?)  As you know, I talk to everyone and engaged him one day only to learn through a quirky conversation that he knows my husband, B, both being active in the same local charity.  From that moment, Rick and I started to blab away whenever we met. 

I delight in the fact that no one knows we have this outside connection and so wonder why he actually talks to me?!  I like it that way, much more fun keeping them guessing because his prowess is intimidating to guys much younger than he -- guys who treat me like some annoying old bag, until I pass them in the lanes. 

It doesn't take much to amuse me and Rick sure gave my ego a welcome complimentary boost this morning!  Going to track his progress during this weekend's marathon.           

No comments:

Post a Comment