Search This Blog

Friday, April 11, 2014

Christmas lights and torture

Eureka!   A 20-minute window to dismantle the outside Christmas lights and it's almost Easter!  Every time I would head outside to face this chore, snow would start to fall.  Then we'd have 20 degrees and everyone would be in shorts!  But elated as I would be with such a day, I would decide not to bother with the lights.  "Heck, I can deal with this tomorrow."  Too bad it never happened.  However, coming back from my swim this morning, I smelt victory.  "Houston, we don't have a problem."  FINALLY got those Blessed lights down!  I was chuffed, thinking I had beaten Calgary's fickle weather.

Not so fast.  Later this afternoon, heading to the torture chamber which is my physiotherapist 's bed-of-nails, I had to wear sunglasses.  Leaving 40 minutes later, I battled a wicked snow squall and staggered to my car.  What a town!  I was there because my upper right arm began to again act up, as it had done two years ago; I needed another painful treatment.  Dr. Paul, great guy that he is, has an array of "Middle-Age" torture instruments, which he inflicts upon one as he "clears up" the problem.  These consist of things like Graston Rods.  Ever heard of them?  They might as well be called "Graston Knives" as he pounds them into your muscles and tight spots in an attempt (successfully, I have to admit) to break up all the crap that restricts one's joints and tendons.  I had opted again for this charming treatment when I realized this morning at the pool that I had hit "The Wall".  I could not complete my 50 laps; had to quit at 30.

Dr. Paul and I laugh and laugh during our sessions in a vain attempt to pretend I am not in excruciating pain.  When he starts something really hideous -- such as drilling into the most painful part of one's shoulder -- he chuckles about something.  Luckily, I get sucked in and we both start throwing our heads back in congenial hilarity before I realize I am being legally tortured!

The test of his success will be tomorrow when I hit the pool.  If I can get all my laps in, the torture will have been worth it.     

    

1 comment: