Search This Blog

Friday, May 16, 2014

A pile

Sorry, but it is.  I have interrupted my Bermuda tales because I just listened to coverage of the RCMP report on missing aboriginal women.  Eleven hundred and sixty one have gone missing since 1980.  What the media doesn't mention is that 90% of the cases have been solved.  In other words, there aren't 1,161 women missing in Canada.   

Guess who killed these women?  Their own relatives.  And guess what state more than 60% were in when it happened?  Intoxicated.  But to hear it from the native leaders, you'd think each was killed by a white male.  In all cases of murder, the police always start with the immediate family.  Same deal with the natives.  But one female leader interviewed said, "These statistics don't help me.  I want to know the root causes of what happens to these women."  Hey, look to your own leadership!  Another interviewee added, "We need more culturally-relevant services available to these women."  Hey, look to your own leadership!

Natives in Canada are given more than $8 billion every year -- not a penny of which are they accountable.  Native leadership is being given a free pass on the plight of their own people, as they deftly and dishonestly point the finger at the rest of us.  It's appalling.

As usual, I qualify to comment because my great-grandmother was a Mohawk.  Yes, I am a few generations removed, but I am so grateful she moved off-reserve so her family could be "normal".  I am so blessed to be "Canadian".  It's too bad natives don't feel that way.  The millions who desperately want to emigrate to Canada would beg to differ.       

 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment