Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Letter from Bermuda -- Part I

Well, I have been off-line for quite a while.  Bermuda was the reason.  But lots of blog material to share!

"What do you do?" I asked the handsome, charming young man sitting next to me at the bar of the Fairmont Southampton Hotel.  "I am a lawyer."  There was an American Family Law Society conference underway; this guy specialized in "reproductive" law.........whatever that is, I wondered?  Apparently, it's dealing with the legalities surrounding surrogates, invitro, adoption....and all that stuff.  Asking from whence he hailed, I learned it was Boston.  So there we were.  Watching the Habs and the Bruins duke it out.  On opposite sides of the stands, but kindred hockey fans.  We actually had to protest a fair bit to get the bartender to move the dial from basketball or the NFL draft.  "Who watches the draft?" he exclaimed.  Yeah, right, who?  Apparently lots of people. 

"I thought you looked like they do," I said when he told me he was related to Rose Fitzgerald's father, Honey Fitz.  Seriously.  The guy was a cousin of the Kennedy's via the Fitzgerald's and he had the accent to prove it.  A real American "royalty" type.  While he was there, B and I and his (gorgeous) wife hung out together.  It was so much fun.

Younger than several of my kids, he nonetheless found us fairly interesting company.  We enjoyed each other's banter.  Talking about the differences between Americans and Canadians, I learned he actually knew quite a bit about Canada -- unlike most (ignorant) Americans.  When one travels, one meets a lot of Americans.  Now and then you meet the creme-de-la-creme.

Much more to come.          

No comments:

Post a Comment