Search This Blog

Sunday, September 1, 2024

Swimming

"Wading into a cool lake on a hot summer day, stretching you arms out in front of you and diving in, then coming up for air and gliding through the open water.  It's always a transforming experience.  A new element.  A new world.  The mind freed by the meditative rhythm of each stroke, each breath."

That was the editorial in 'The Globe and Mail' yesterday.  I was surprised they would feature little, ole swimming, but they did.  They called it "the elixir of life" and said it was a pleasure every Canadian should be able to enjoy.

Spray Lakes pool, where I do my 40 laps (1K)

I agree.  As you know, I am a regular swimmer in both open water and pools, but many Canadians -- especially immigrants -- cannot swim.  This is hazardous in a country with so many lakes, oceans and rivers.  Every year, approximately 460 Canadians drown and those that survive cost the economy $200 million in rescues.

That should never be.  Swimming lessons abound everywhere and if you live in Canada and can't swim, take a few.  I grew up swimming and so did my kids.  I was a lifeguard and swimming instructor as a teen and loved the job.  I even saved a couple of kids at Brighton Beach, where I worked.  All in a day's work.

When I was nine, I nearly drowned -- or should I say, someone nearly drowned me.  It was at the beach at our cottage.  I was swimming and suddenly saw this wild-eyed girl coming toward me.  I knew she was drowning and I knew she was going to grab me.  She did and pushed me under.  I struggled up a few times, scratching her in the effort, but she was a teenager and much bigger and she prevailed.  

She was screaming and finally, as I knew I could not get up one more time and was going to die, someone pulled me up by the hair and into a boat.  I was hysterical and in shock and spent the rest of the day in bed.  

I will never forget that awful day 68 years ago.  But I kept swimming because that experience taught me that drowning would be one of the worst ways to die.  Absolutely terrifying.

Last year, starting my daily 1 K around it bay.

Swimming is physical, but it can also feel metaphysical.  For many swimmers, me included, the act of swimming is a tonic -- a restorative, a stimulant, undertaken for a feeling of vigor and well-being.  Until I can't, I will keep plowing through the water.

After my annual, 2K swim in Lake Windermere, B.C.







No comments:

Post a Comment