Search This Blog

Monday, September 9, 2024

Kyrgios was better

While the US Open Men's Final was playing, I tuned out and turned on a couple of the best-plays videos on YouTube of Nick Kyrgios.  Now, there's a tennis player!

He has beaten all the GOATs and I believe could have shellacked Fritz in that final.  He's now a commentator, and I love him in that role too, but he is a wonderful tennis player.  He has every shot in the book and goes for them fearlessly.

Nick being Nick

Today's game is all power slugging, until someone hits it out, or into the net.  That's not tennis!  Might as well be baseball.  BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG OUT!

It was galling to hear Chrissy Evert calling the match because she is the one who wrecked tennis.  She's the one who started all that baseline pounding.  She won many tournaments because she was accurate, but she was boring.

People seem to hate Kyrgios, judging by the nasty online comments they post.  But I guarantee you, if you watch a few videos, you'll be amazed and thoroughly entertained.  One of the best is "Nick Kyrgios being Nick Kyrgios".  It shows him in all his glory.

The women's game is actually worse, with all the screaming and hammering.  When I played -- albeit badly -- it was a game of finesse.  And speaking of finesse, if you want a lesson in that skill, ask B.  He was a nationally-ranked player back-in-the-day and played junior Davis Cup for Canada.  I kid you not.

I hated playing with him.  "Hit it to me," I'd say.  "Are you kidding?" he'd reply.  Didn't take long for me to refuse to play with him -- especially doubles, when he'd whisper curses after I had brilliantly flubbed a shot.  "How could you miss that?!" he'd say.

So, it'll be Nick all the way for me when I want to watch entertaining, fun tennis.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment