Search This Blog

Sunday, June 10, 2012

And then I met Fatima

She always had a sober look on her face when we would meet at the Y; today I found out why.  Mumbling as I got off the scales this morning, I said "hi" to her as usual.  "How are you," she said.  "Still fatter than I would like," I vainly bitched.  "But look at you, you've got such a beautiful figure."  "You don't want to lose weight the way I did," she added.  "I lost my son last Halloween.  He was 20." 

Suddenly my weight seemed such a petty matter to be worrying about.  Fatima's plight put it into horrifying perspective.  I remember the car accident that took his life.  As usual it involved a bunch of kids who had had too much to drink, resulting in a head-on crash when the young driver ran a red light at John Laurie and Sarcee -- right around the corner.  Flowers still adorn the intersection, a picture of her son still there.

Another dear friend lost her son when he was but 24.  How can mothers handle this?  I have no idea, but both my friend and Fatima are bravely carrying on for the sake of their other children and grandchildren.  I stand in awe of both. 

No comments:

Post a Comment