Search This Blog

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Hair

Let's face it, women are defined by their hair.  When you look at a woman's hair you know immediately who she is....or thinks she is. 

When I was in university, every cool girl had long, straight locks with bangs.  I had naturally-curly hair and hated it.  I actually used to iron my hair on my mother's ironing board to get it straight.  One evening, at age 19, as I was preparing to go to a seedy student bar with a bunch of other university (I was going to say "layabout") students, I looked into the mirror and said, "What the hell are you doing trying to straighten your curly hair??!!" 

The next day I had it all cut off.  And I mean "off".  If you are as old as I, you will remember when Mia Farrow appeared in "Peyton Place" with a one-inch haircut.  I did the same.  It was exhilarating.  No longer did I have to compete with the beauties with hair.  Hey, if you wanted to date me, you had to "see" me -- not my hair.

Today, look at a woman's face and imagine it without the hairdo.  Most will be ugly.

I used to colour my hair, but when I turned 45 I looked into the mirror and said, once again, "What the hell are you doing, Nancy??!!"

When you start turning grey, accept it.  Nothing worse than middle-aged women with grey roots and overdone blonde streaks in tired hair.     

2 comments:

  1. OMG: Had not read this one before. You are so right. Even though you do not like my hair at least it is completely natural.
    I stopped dying it when I was about 55 a few years ago. Any-ho when I was 16 I had a pony tail and guess what I am lazy cause I have a pony tail at 69!!!!!!
    You say it as it is Nancy, good for you.
    How about hats, highways, and ignorant gate keepers at the RCYC??? Hugs, Moi

    ReplyDelete