Search This Blog

Saturday, June 23, 2012

How can they possibly miss it?

A soccer net is 24 feet wide and eight feet high.  How can world-class players consistently miss it??!!  Just watching the European Cup and guys who get paid a ga-zillion $$$ can't hit the net.  It's about the width of three garage doors and yet, they can't seem to put the ball in.  I guess it's more difficult to hit the target with one's foot, in spite of the fact these professionals have been trying to do it for years. 

I mean, it's not like sinking a putt into a two-inch cup.  Now, that takes skill.  It's not like hitting a home run, where you have to accurately connect bat to ball.  And it's not like kissing a two-inch line on a tennis court.  No.  All you have to do it kick a ball into a HUGE net.  How hard can it be?!

Boringly, the score is always nil-nil, or one-nil at the most.  Add to that the lacklustre commentary and you have mind-numbing stuff.  It's always... "Jones... Smith.... Varga....Brown."  Nothing but names.

And it's the only sport where the goal keeper wears a completely different uniform than the rest of his team.  Why is that?

I guess I just don't get "the beautiful game".  To me it's a stupid and tedious game.

2 comments:

  1. The thing about golf, baseball, and tennis is you don't have an opponent challenging your every move and you're not sprinting all out down a field. I think some things you're best not to blog about... soccer takes an extreme amount of skill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not agree more. Susanne said it as it is. You being such a great athlete yourself should just study how they never ever use their hands. Their arms once in a game to throw the ball and that's all. It is very very skillful
    and exacting. I bet with a friend Italy would win and of course they did.
    Then I went to the Queens Plate and my cousin said we are late are you going to bet??? I said some horse has Irish in it's name - I'm off to bet!! Are you completely nuts?? said she - NO !! I'm simply Irish. Put $40.00 on win place or show - Irish came in second and I got $800.00. How's that for the luck of the Irish. You can publish this one- it very positive.

    ReplyDelete