Search This Blog

Monday, July 23, 2012

I bow to hats

Changed the title of my blog to "The View from Hats and High Heels", in deference to my love of hats.  Many women shy away from wearing hats because they tend to scream "look at me".  I don't care, I love and wear them anyway.  Nothing deals with a bad hair day like a hat.  The other reason is that I have had four skin cancers removed from my face and don't need any more problems in that department.

Every time I wear a hat I get compliments.  My daughter says it's because people stare and feel they have to say something, even though they may not like your "get-up", as my dear mother used to say.  "G-d, what a hideous hat," is not going to come out of their mouths, so they say, "Great hat!" 

Visiting my old friend Barbara in Toronto a couple of weeks ago was such a treat.  She is an original, to say the least.  The owner of many more hats than I, she wears them all the time.  We also share a love of jewellery -- both real and costume, which we mix and match with gay abandon.  Our get together started with Mass, after which we headed out to a great lunch in The Beaches.  When I lived in TO, The Beaches was a dump, but it has been reclaimed and is thriving.  In fact, I sacrilegiously bought my cowboy hat there -- a bargain at $10.

I first met Barbara 40 years ago when my late cousin introduced us.  Liked her immediately.  Later on I became re-acquainted with her through B, who was also a friend.  Problem back then was that she was also a friend of his ex-wife, so that chilled relations between us.  But she quickly saw the light, left the dark side and became our friend -- which she remains.  What a life she has had!  Raising two gorgeous sons on her own, she eventually married famous Canadian art collector, O.J. Firestone (God rest his soul), and toured the world with his collection.  I don't know which attraction people came to see -- Barbara or the art?  When you meet Barbara MacMahon-Firestone, you never forget her.  She says exactly what she thinks and boasts a laugh as raucous as mine. 

Back at her condo, enjoying champagne (I was, not she), she gave me two hats.  I think had I admired one of her fur coats, she would have handed it over.  She has done that on more than one occasion.  As I said, generous to a fault at times.  You can read her comments on this blog; she has also started one of her own.      

3 comments:

  1. OMG. You just made me cry. How kind are you, and generous. I hope I continue to live up to your kind words. I look forward to my sons reading this. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Life without O.J.Firestone has been like living with a large deep black hole in my soul. I miss him everyday and this is the first time I have actually scripted that fact.
    You and B are a unique, brilliant, talented couple and I wish you many many more years together. Hope to see you sooner than later.
    Bless you all, Barbara Ann MacMahon-Firestone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I's all true, dear girl. Never a dull moment with you. You have to get your ass out here to Calgary!

      Delete
  2. I have never met her personally but she is someone that I admire from afar.
    Good on you for writing about her.
    Linda Seccaspina

    ReplyDelete