Search This Blog

Friday, July 20, 2012

A Day at the Races

Last weekend I accompanied daughter, Susanne, and grandson, Reed, to Invermere B.C. -- the heart of the Rockies --  where Susanne was doing an olympic-distance triathlon.  My role was to look after the baby.  Driving there, we inadvertantly found ourselves on an alternate route, which proved a good thing when it provided wonderful sights of moose, mountain goat and deer. 

The road through the mountains is extremely curvy, but that didn't stop every other driver from either speeding past way over the limit, or sitting on my tail.  Read the other day that this year, six black bears have already been killed by zooming drivers.  (I hope the bears left expensive damage on the cars of their killers as the innocent creatures expired.)

Invermere is picture-postcard beautiful, right on Lake Windermere.  Arriving at the venue around 7 a.m., I found a perfect parking spot.  But just before the race was to begin, who decides to take a HUGE dump in his diaper?  Our darling.  That meant I had to take him back to the hotel to hose him off.  But before I left, I spotted a tiny parking spot outside the back door of a camper that was annoyingly occupying two spots.  I shoved the stroller into it.  When we returned, none of the big SUVs and crossovers everyone here drives was able to fit into it, so I had prevailed. 

In a little more than two hours, in comes Mum, but we had no idea how she had fared, there being a number of relays and team races of differing distances on the go simultaneously.  I was sent to see where she had placed, but there were so many sheets posted for so many categories, I had no clue how to decifer the complicated overall results.  Turns out, Susanne placed third overall (first in her age category) and actually won some money.  Wow, a podium finish just after having a baby.  After she had gone up to receive her award, with Reed on her hip, a young woman rushed up and said, "You are a rock star!  Just had a baby and you come third!"  Very cool. 

Here are a few shots of our adventure:
Reed enjoying a picnic on the way.

Dinner the night before the race.

Eating a lemon(?)

Mum getting her award, or is it Reed?

I'll take the cheque, thanks.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment