Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

I knew it was he

There was something very familiar about the man who came down the aisle in the plane yesterday.  When he had passed, it hit me.  When he returned I stopped him and said, "Are you who I think you are?"  He paused, looked at me and I added, "Theo Fleury?"  Yes I am.  "I am so thrilled to meet you!"  I stuck out my hand and said, "You are everyone's hero.  We love you."  He could not have been nicer.  Naturally, I asked for his autograph and he said, "Sure, what's your name?"  I fumbled around in my purse and the only paper I had was my boarding pass.  No pen, of course, but the lady beside me had one and handed it over. 

"To Nancy, don't quit before the miracle.  Enjoy life!  Theo Fleury"

He then squated beside me in the aisle and we had quite a chat.  He is such a genuine, lovely person.  You can tell there's not a phony bone in his body.  Charming.  His wife and daughter came along and she is absolutely gorgeous and the baby is a darling tousled toddler.  It was one of those moments.  When he left, I said to the man across the aisle, "Wow, what a privilege to meet Theo Fleury."  He looked blank.  "You know, the famous hockey player who was abused and wrote a book about it."  Captain America said, "We're from Washington and we don't follow Canadian hockey."  Oh of course, another typical American who has no clue what happens north of the 49th parallel. 

So, that was the highlight of my trip home.  Nice way to end a great weekend with my son.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment