Search This Blog

Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas may be catching on

After The Herald published my letter yesterday, Christians are coming out of the woodwork.  Not necessarily because of my letter, but they are speaking to me about the letter and how much they appreciated it.  Can't find it on-line, but here it is:

"Dear Editor,
Wishing a young lifeguard Merry Christmas at the pool where I swim, I was unfortunately not surprised he said he had been told he could not write “Merry Christmas” on his final paper. Last time I checked, calendars denote December 25th as “Christmas Day”. Nonetheless, it is heartening that not all who celebrate Christmas have been disenfranchised. Transit operators, for example, have the discretion of putting the greeting on the front of their buses. How cheering.
"Here’s another good idea: every year, we receive a real “Christmas” card from a Jewish doctor friend because he knows we celebrate the feast. I am sure he also sends “Happy Hanukkah” greetings to his Jewish friends. What a positive and inclusive gesture. No “Happy Holidays” required."
 
Yours sincerely........................ moi

The lifeguards have posted it in their office, how nice.  A couple I swim with gave me the 'thumbs up' this morning and another young woman spoke to me about her church and what they are doing Christmas Eve.  On the way out, K, who works behind the front desk, beckoned me over and talked about my letter.  "Great job," she said.  "I didn't know you were so involved, but I love your button (the one that reads "Jesus is the Reason for the Season")."

How sad that at Christmas-time, Christians have to skulk around discovering each other in the underground.  We all need to advocate whenever we can.  Speak up!   

2 comments:

  1. The irony of it all is that anyone I run into who denotes Christmas are Christians themselves! All part of trying to appear more liberal and less WASPish, I guess.
    I have Sikh neighbours who go out of their way to wish me a "Merry Christmas my friend" and treat me to Christmas samosas (thanks Gorinda!) same with the Muslim family who live behind me.
    The Orthadox Jewish couple next door...same thing.
    Naturally neither celebrate it but it doesn't diminish their faith to wish me a Merry Christmas
    The salon staff and I make a point of wishing everyone a Merry Christmas, regardless of faith.
    All our clients of other faiths wish us the same right back as well as giving us thoughtful gifts.
    If Christians have to skulk around sending generic wishes like season's greeting or happy holidays it's nobodys fault but their own!
    Speak up? Absolutely!

    ReplyDelete