Search This Blog

Monday, December 3, 2012

Pool friends

I have made a few "friends" at the pool.  Not the kind one would call up and chat with in one's "real" life, but friends nonetheless within that sacred enclosure that is the women's locker room.  Afterall, waltzing around start naked tends to engender a certain intimacy.

As Christmas approaches, nice things happen there.  Walking in this morning, I was stopped by "K" who said, "Nancy, I made Christmas cookies with my Icelandic friend on the weekend and these are for you."  With that she proceeded to hand over a beautiful collection of the most wonderful-looking creations.  I was bowled over.  Not that I will actually eat them -- I now evaluate everything I insert into my mouth against the rigid criteria of how-many-laps-is-that.  But I popped them into the freezer 'cause someone will enjoy them very soon.

Then I bumped into "S" in the water -- the lovliest drug addict you will ever meet.  She lives with a badly injured leg caused by years of lifting heavy patients as she toiled as a nurse.  She now copes via vicodin, or some such other narcotic...."Otherwise I would have commited suicide long ago," says this vivacious grandmother.  She was telling me I should definitely invest in a pair of jeans, now that I have lost 20 pounds.  "You'd look great in jeans now," she said.  "What are you, about 51 or so?  Get some jeans."  51-or-so !%$%#^((*&^%^%*()^%^!!!!  That made my week -- or maybe my year!

Changing, I chatted with "W".  "We're having a party after Christmas, can I get your e-mail because we'd love to have you come."

So, that's life here in Calgary.  Very rewarding! 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment