Search This Blog

Monday, December 31, 2012

"All dolled up"

That's how my mother described getting ready for New Year's Eve.  She got "all dolled up".  What I remember most were her beautiful, long nails.  Nail salons didn't exist, but the last thing my mother always did before going out "all dolled up" was paint her nails.  Bright red. 

My nails are not as beautiful as were hers, and I no longer wear red nail polish, but she painted on the red when she was giving, or going to, a party.  That was the '50s.  New Year's Eve was a big deal.  I guess it still is in many circles, but not for me. 

My parents, aunts, uncles and their friends always went somewhere, to someone's home, to ring in the new year.  My cousins and I always went to my grandparents to watch TV, sleep on the floor and have our own little party with them.  The next morning it was always the Rose Bowl and parade from California until our parents arrived to pick us up.  I loved it.  In later years, when I had moved away from home, my parents never failed to call me just after midnight to wish me a Happy New Year. 

Tonight I am not "all dolled up".  In fact, I am already in my pj's.  I am not a fan of New Year's Eve, but am a fan of the "New Year's Day Levee" and tomorrow will be going to one. 

To all my loved ones, Happy New Year!

          

1 comment:

  1. and to you dear GIRL AND MR B. YOU CONTINUE TO
    SET A GREAT EXAMPLE OF WHAT MARRIAGE COULD BE AND SHOULD PERHAPS BE. YOU CONTINUE TO REMAIN
    AGELESS IN A VERY AGING WORLD.
    YOU SET QUITE AN EXAMPLE FOR ALL.
    bARBARA

    ReplyDelete