Search This Blog

Friday, December 28, 2012

Drunks jumping the queue

Sitting in the emergency waiting room in Cochrane with my daughter and a very sick gandson, I witnessed a sad, but nevertheless annoying, scene.  A young RCMP constable walked in with a drunken woman who'd been badly beaten up.  Naturally, she jumps to the head of the queue while the rest of the civilized bunch have to step back a spot.

Eavesdroppiing on her weeping and wailing to the triage nurse (you couldn't avoid the bloody drama), I heard her say "...and then he punched me here and then I fell against the table and hurt my ribs.  I can' breathe!  And then he tried to stab me.........."  It was indeed a sordid tale the young native woman told.  I had no sympathy, anxious as I was to have Reed seen and treated. 

Wouldn't have had any sympathy anyway because the whole tawdry and degenerate mess was self-inflicted.  Hey, you don't have to live like that.  There are treatment programs everywhere if a sufferer wants to get better. 

When we were finally called into an examination room, naturally our wounded victim was in the next bed.  More weeping and wailing as she was attended to by two doctors, three nurses and an X-ray technician.  "Come on hon, you're doing fine, I just need to get a look at what's going on inside your chest," the technician said, trying and soothe the drunk into cooperating. 

It was so ignoble and nasty.  To add to the publically-funded congregation, another RCMP constable arrived........why I have no idea? 

Your tax dollars at work.  Pathetic.    


No comments:

Post a Comment