Search This Blog

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Memos from the dead

"I am very concerned about the increasing number of conflicts between "ad hoc" meetings requiring my presence and certain of my long-standing commitments -- especially my French lessons.

"In an attempt to resolve this situation somewhat, I have advised my staff, that from now on, they are not to schedule any meetings for me on Fridays.  I have discussed this arrangement with both the Chairman and Commissioner Lacombe (Long dead).  Mondays will also be set aside except for meetings called by the Chairman. 

"I would be grateful if you would advise your staff accordingly..  Thanks for your coopeation."

Signed, Jennifer R. McQueen, Commissioner of the Public Service Commission, December 5, 1983.

Sad to admit, but I worked for the PSC for five years.  I was sent a copy of that memo and for some reason kept it (?)  Found it today while cleaning out a drawer.  It was addressed to:

Winston Wells, Director General, Executive Secretariat (dead now about 20 years)

From:  Jennifer R. McQueen (also dead)

Copied to Ken A. Sinclair (my upper boss at the time), (dead about 15 years)

Sent to my boss at the time, Charles Jeffrey (still alive and well).

It's all so surreal.  Here was the late Jennifer, telling the late Winston, copying the late Ken, that she would not work Friday's or Monday's.  What???!!!  When I first moved to Ottawa, I was interviewed by Jennifer for a job.  She didn't hire me.  Coincidentally, B also worked for her in FPRO in the early 70s, before I ended up working for her several years later at the Commission.  Yes, Ottawa is an ingrown toenail.  Jennifer didn't work Fridays then either and was enraged to learn that the Clerk had sent B to a Cabinet meeting because he couldn't find Jennifer (she was getting her hair done and could not be disturbed).  Ah women, we do it to ourselves.

Another anecdote about the woman:  B went to Toronto on a business trip with her and standing in the lobby was none other than Sir John Gielgud.  "Look, Jennifer, that's Sir John Gielgud," exclaimed B.  "That's not him," she retorted.  Just then the bell boy approached, "May I take your bags Sir John?"  Without missing a beat Jennifer said, "That's another Sir John." 

She could never be wrong.   

But back to the memo.  I dated the handsome and charming Mr. Wells and was shocked to learn he died so young.  The most professional man I ever worked for was the late Ken Sinclair.   All along I thought I was doing a bad job, but when it came time for my appraisal, I was sterling.  Who knew!  Then, when I worked for Chuck Jeffrey, I learned how to conduct a meeting with rigor.  Hey, how about an agenda!?

As for Commissioner Treffle Lacombe, he went to Sir George with B.  Talk about "no couth".  I had to travel with him and at breakfast he actually put his knife in his mouth.  Another time I was playing tennis and he walked onto my court in the middle of a match to ask me a question about something or other.  Yes, Treffle is long dead. 

Just called my old boss Chuck, who lost his wife a couple of months ago.  Read him that memo.  He remembered it.  It even has his beautiful script on it....."Circulate to PAD Management Committee, CLJ, 83-12-07", it reads.

There was a professionalism in the public service in them thar days.     









No comments:

Post a Comment