Search This Blog

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Sadness

"Oh my G-d, Nancy, it's you!" said John when he opened the door in 1980 to meet B's new girlfriend.  Yep, it was me. 

Our marriages had broken up and we had just started dating.  "I want you to meet a good friend and a great guy," B said.  "His name is John M."  "John M," I exclaimed.  "I went to Carleton with him and know him very well.  What a riot." 

Thus it was that when John opened his door that Friday evening 32 years ago, he found me standing there.  To say he was shocked would be an understatement because B had not told him who he was dating.  The best part of the deal was that I met his new wife, "H".  What a corker!  An Air Canada stewardess, she was absolutely gorgeous.  She also had the biggest personality and most dazzling smile I had ever encountered.  But the perfect part about H was her absolutely "no bulls-it" attitude to everyone and everything; I immediately fell in love with her.

In 1982, B and I went to Mexico.  Lying on a chaise lounge beside the pool, I glanced up to see a chap with a familiar face walk by.  "B, that's John M!"  I shrieked.  Sure enough, he and H were staying at the same hotel.  What a treat!  Needless to say, the four of us had a ball for 10 glorious days.  We continued to socialize for the next couple of decades, until John's death about seven years ago. 

I kept in touch with H, but it wasn't the same.  Every time the three of us got together, all we could think and talk about was John. 

"Hey, you stupid b-tch, you actually got out of bed and called," said H this morning when I phoned her in Ottawa.  She sounded like a little old woman, but the attitude was still there, as was the raucous laugh.  She has terminal cancer and it is just so sad.  "How are you," I asked.  "Dying, but what the f-ck," she laughed.  Typical H.  Irreverant to the very end.  Only 62, she is way too young.  "Geez," I said, "I always thought I looked so much younger than you and I'm four years older."  She roared. 

We talked about everything -- the "good" friends who never call or visit, friends she lavished her considerable wealth upon.  We talked about John, her stepchildren, who never call or visit -- in spite of the thousands and thousands she has given them over many years. 

After about 10 minutes, she began a coughing fit and had to hang up.  H, it is so, so sad to think of you slipping away.  You are an original, one of the best broads I have ever known.          

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. H is truly a fabulous broad, in the best sense of the word. If you don't want to hear it like it is, don't go near her. Nothing gets past her BS detector. The ugly stench of truth is what she delivers.

      Delete