Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Canadian cold

Bred maternally and paternally in families acclimatized to the heat of India during the 250 years they were The Raj, B is finding Calgary's weather a little much.  Today it was -38 (Celsius, my American friends).  That's pretty brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! 

We had grandson today and didn't venture out the door!  Personally, I think it feels like -100 C -- might as well be.  Heard more tales today of B's grandparents, who were his guardians, and how they hated the Canadian cold....and boots....and hats.....and mufflers (scarves to the unitiated).  Never ones to complain, however, Walter and Ivy mucked in, after having been kicked out of post-Ghandi India, ending up in England and finally arriving in Montreal as penniless refugees. 

"I never once heard my grandparents complain," said B.  Were it me, I would have bitched for the next 40 years!  They had lived in the "lap of", with 25 servants and yet had to cope in Canada as poor immigrants.  Me?  I have always lived a privileged life and yet still bitch! 

B shares a wide circle of descendents from The Raj.  Some live in Canada, others in Scotland, one in Dubai, some in the Bahamas, one in the US.  Most have no idea about their wonderful heritage; I know because I am in touch with them.  As an adoptee, I am always the one who cherishes the history, the lineage, the family stories.  Fortunately, I do know about my birth mother and her family -- although I am very glad they didn't raise me. 

Families.........everything.

 

           

No comments:

Post a Comment