Search This Blog

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Now I get it

I have blogged about him before (see "Some swims are better than others", March 14, 2012, and "Scooters and flutter boards", July 20, 2012).  Gerry, my friend at the pool.  He is very "helpful", to say the least, telling me how to improve my back crawl, teaching me how to perfect a flip turn, etc.  And when I injured my arm last March, he knowingly said, "Oh, that'll take months to heal."  I was pretty upset at that assessment, but he was right.  My arm took about as long to recover as giving birth -- almost nine months and it's still not perfect. 

But I am back in the medium lane and back swimming with Gerry.  This morning, when he was asking about my spiffy new goggles (I swear I swim faster with them), I finally said, "What do you do?"  "I'm a family doctor," he replied.  Of course you are.  Now I know why you are so didactic and authoritative.  You're a doctor. 

He suggested a race this morning -- which I won, much to his chagrin.  I used to pass him routinely before the arm thing, but now he is a little faster.  Except this morning.  The things you find out about people in that great equalizer, the Y pool.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment