Search This Blog

Sunday, March 11, 2018

Give it up

Christine Elliott needs to concede.  Challenging Doug Ford's victory in court makes her look small and shrill -- which she probably is, given this is the third time she has run for the leadership and lost.  I wonder what the late, classy Jim Flanagan, her husband, would have thought?  All she is accomplishing is proving she puts her interests ahead of the party's. 

Watching coverage, I saw old footage of Kathleen Wynn strolling around with her "wife" in tow.  Frankly, I found it jarring.  No one elected her "wife", but there the wife was smiling and shaking hands.  I know, I know, men do it, but to me it just looked ridiculous and focussed my mind on her personal life, instead of her politics.

Not sure how I feel about Ford, but anyone HAS to be better than Wynn and the 15-year mess the Liberals have made of that once-mighty province.  Remember Dalton McGinty and his musings on the introduction of Sharia Law to Ontario!?!?  Remember the privatization of Ontario Hydro?  Who privatizes an essential service?  Seriously, who?!  I think of my son, who lives in Toronto, freezing under blankets with plastic taped to all his windows to keep the hydro down.

Remember The Big Blue Machine, under The Rainmaker, Keith Davey?  I used to meet friends for drinks in the renowned bar in the Park Plaza in Toronto, when John Robarts was premier, and every night Robarts would be holding court in a corner voice booming.  Always "over-refreshed" he was nonetheless fascinating and very, very powerful.  Then came Bland Bill Davis, who ruled using a combination of mild and unopinionated.  Nevermind, it worked. 

What's next is anyone's guess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment