Search This Blog

Friday, September 18, 2026

Two gentlemen

The coverage of the anniversary of the death of Les Emmerson prompted a lovely memory.  A number of years ago, B and I were invited to a party hosted by Les' (or is it "Les's?) sister, Darlene, because B was a great friend of her boyfriend.  Sitting at a picnic bench on my own, I was joined by a charming man, who turned out to be Les. 

The two of us just sat for three hours and talked.  No one interrupted.  He was very smart and engaging, something I wonder if people knew?  To most, he was just the lead singer of  'The Five Man Electrical Band', with hits like 'Signs' and 'You can cry your eyes out'.  That afternoon he was just a smart, charming guy and I was captivated.

Never ran across him again, but he left a lasting impression.

The late, great Les Emmerson.

________________

Talking to another old friend last night, we started reminiscing, as we always do, about old times.  JR and I go back almost 60 years!  He was married to my late cousin and I think he never fell out of love with her.  She died 24 years ago and his second wife five months ago.  As I say, I am in the death zone!

Anyway, one guy we talked about was an old beau of mine.  "I could never figure Paddy out?" I said.  "I mean, we dated for a whole summer, when he flew me back and forth from Toronto to Ottawa every weekend and back, where we stayed at his cottage at Lac Ste. Marie, but he was not romantic in the least," I said.

I soon learned what "not romantic" meant.  "I think he was gay," said my friend.  Well, now it all makes perfect sense!  We slept in the same bed, but absolutely nothing happened.  Weird.  I mean, I was 22 years old and relatively hot.  

Paddy was from a very prominent old Ottawa family.  He was handsome and charming in the extreme and died a few years ago.  At last everything about our "romance" made perfect sense.  You never know who's what!  May Paddy Rest in Peace.         

No comments:

Post a Comment