Search This Blog

Friday, August 23, 2013

Don't bother running

"What a great job you are doing Mr. Mayor," I said to Naheed Nenshi last night, shaking his hand.  "Thank you very much," he beamed back.  We were at a tent theatre performance of 'The Pirates of Penzance' down on the River Walk, previously devastated by the floods. 

The mayor was sitting right behind us.  What a great guy.  Don't even bother to run against him.  After the job he did during the floods, the incumbent Calgary mayor is unbeatable.  He was everywhere-all-the-time....accessible, communicative, caring, hands-on, sleeves rolled, shovel in hand......you name it, he nailed it.

But back to 'The Pirates'.  For some reason I have never liked "performances".  Sitting in an audience in a theatre, watching something -- anything -- has never been my cup of tea.  "Why am I here?" is what I ask myself as I look around at all the hundreds of others doing the same thing.  Here I am, trapped in the middle of a row of seats, surrounded by complete strangers.  I'd rather be home talking to myself or doing laundry than watching a bunch of actors and singers doing something in front of me.  Why do we pay money for this phoniness?  They don't mean it, yet we buy it.  It's so absurd.   

Anyway, that's just me.

We left at intermission.  I came home and cleaned the kitchen.           

2 comments:

  1. OMG you are so funny. Remind me never to sing for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that answers my question: Did they miss the call-back or did they go home?
    I know another person that shares your view of performances. It's good there are folks like yourself who like to get things done while the rest of us sit back waiting to be entertained!

    ReplyDelete