Search This Blog

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Scottish lotharios

"I was going to ask for your number," said the Scotsman who had stopped to chat.  My Toronto son had just arrived at our appointed meeting spot near his office and was surprised to find a middle-aged gentleman "hitting" on his mother. 

I kid you not.  Trying to stay out of the sun, I had found a bench near a condo apartment building as this guy was entering.  "Good to stay out of the sun," he said as he walked by.  But then he stopped, came back and started chatting me up.  It was very weird and funny.  Another who thought I was about 53, as if.  He had all the lines.  Must be very lonely.

Daughter and I are in Toronto with grandson visiting my son.  Weirder than what happened today is what will happen tomorrow.  We are all visiting my ex (their father) tomorrow -- someone I haven't seen in 20 years.  Yes folks, it's a long story (his choice), but he will meet his grandson and our kids will finally reconnect with their Dad, all good.

Toronto is no longer "white".  Everyone is either brown, black or oriental.  Not that I care, but it is amazing for someone such as I to realize we will soon be overtaken by other races who, quite simply, have more children.  Demographics tell the story.  Old-fashioned white Canadians will soon be a curious minority.  And we did it to ourselves.  Women getting better educations, waiting longer to have children, having only one, two or none -- that's how it happens.  We think we are "improving" our lot, but we are forfeiting our culture. 

No one to blame but Gloria Steinem and Germaine Greer.  Gee, thanks.      



2 comments:

  1. This is 100% accurate!!! Good for you to say it as it truly is. The other thing we are missing in Toronto ?? People speaking English!!

    One cannot drive a cab in New York without speaking English - Toronto the Good - if you find an English taxi drive call me I owe you a drink!!! By the by just came back from hospital have Vertigo Did you say the 19th or 20th?? Cheers to all, have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MY mother lives in a part of Toronto that was once the town of Agincourt. In recent years, this has been where many, many Orientals have settled. The area is now generally referred to as "Asian-court".

    On the positive side, the children appear to be raised with good values, manners and respect for their elders... perhaps role models for other cultures, including our own.

    ReplyDelete