Search This Blog

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Nevermind 'So you think you can dance'

The sexiest dance scene I have ever seen on screen was in 'Picnic', that great movie starring William Holden and Kim Novak.  Just watched it again for the umpteenth time and it is always perfect. 

Apparently, Holden initially refused to do the dance scene on the dock and had to be paid $10,000 extra to agree.  "You dance beautifully," says Madge.  "Some men, when you dance with them, make you feel so uncomfortable," she adds.  She's right.  The way the two of them dance in slow motion to 'It Had to be Moonglow' is riveting. 

But who steals the show?  Rosalind Russell.  She is magnificent as the spinster school teacher trying to get Howard to marry her.  She succeeds.  It's a wonderful movie and I never tire of watching it. 

Sadly, Holden died drunk at 63, after falling in his lonely apartment.  But Kim is still going strong.  Saw an interview with her the other night and she is still beautiful at 80.  Let's hope some of us make it that far and still retain a bit of class.    

3 comments:

  1. Watched the same movie. As a y oung girl I fell
    in love with William Holden - completely!!
    The actress who acted in Heart to Heart was his life mate. They had a animal kingdom in Africa together. Wish I could remember her name!!!
    You are so right - he died so very young at the height of his fame. So sad. I think in real life he was very much like his character in "Picnic". Was that not the most sensual dance team you have ever seen?
    All my life people have told me I am just like
    Rosalind Russell. I never was flattered as I found her looks -!!! Then when Mame came out all my nephews and nieces called me "Mame" to this very day!!!!!! Go figure!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie Powers was his partner. Come to think of it, you are a lot like Roz Russell! I think she was very elegant-looking. And ballsy, like you.

      Delete
  2. I should add that Holden was such a "static" dancer the cameraman had to circle around and around in order to give the impression of actual "dancing". Boy, did it work!

    ReplyDelete