Search This Blog

Monday, September 30, 2013

When lunch is a feast

I served a meat dish, a carb dish, a vegetable/salad dish and dessert when I had them over.  What did she serve when she had us over?  The works!

We had been invited to lunch at our Nigerian friends yesterday and the groaning board was definitely groaning!  In their culture, it's not just one chicken dish, it's three.  It's not just one beef dish, it's two.  It's not just one salad, it's three.  It's not just one rice and shrimp dish, it's two.  She also served delicious plantains, goat soup (had never eaten goat before) and spring rolls and on and on and on......The dessert?  Went on forever!

"When I cook, I cook," said our hostess.   No kidding.  I realized my puritan protestant upbringing was no match for this!  And my glass?  Filled every minute. 

We have met some wonderful people at our Parish -- especially our Nigerian friends, who have been the best hosts and hostesses ever.  When I next have them over, I will have to pull a few rabbits out of the culinary hat!        

No comments:

Post a Comment